I know it sounds cliche but I genuinely cannot believe an entire year – 12 months! – has passed. Last year, I wrote out my themes for 2019 and shared them here as a way to document them and hold myself accountable. This helped as I went back a few times in the year to remind myself what intentions I had set for the year. Before writing about my goals for 2020, I wanted to spend some time reflecting on my previous goals.
My first theme in 2019 was balance. While I believe that all of my 2019 goals are lifelong ones, this one in particular is definitely one that I will keep working on moving forward. This year, I had a lot of change in my life and keeping focus of what matters most in those times of change has helped me become more balanced. A consistent nighttime and morning time routine still eludes me but in absence of that sort of balance, I discovered that no matter how hectic life could be, I could always be grounded. This also relates to the second theme of evanescence because in these moments, I remembered that this life is temporary and what seems impossible today will soon be forgotten and replaced by another seemingly impossible challenge. I’m fortunate enough that my stressors tend to generally be ones that are fleeting but even in those moments where it seemed like nothing would ever be normal again, remembering that life is temporary and momentary was soothing.
In 2019, I also made an effort to become more determined and work my hardest. As a perfectionist, I have trouble differentiating between doing my best and doing the best which has made it difficult for me to be satisfied with my efforts. But by focusing on why I am doing something, I rediscovered the joy in doing things that are purpose-driven and as a result, I became more satisfied with my end results. I have also realized that just because a deadline has come doesn’t mean it has to be the end of what I have been working on. I can come back to it later and continue to build and improve on it without the external pressure.
Finally, my last theme of 2019 was learning. This past year was one where I actively went seeking new knowledge, wherever it may be. I’ve had conversations with friends, strangers, and acquaintances that have reminded me that each and every person in this world has their own unique knowledge based on their perspective. In addition to this, I’ve continued my formal learning as part of my masters degree and did a lot of learning at my workplace. Moving forward, I want to listen, read, and write more to continue my learning journey.
So, in 2020 and into the new decade, I will build on the themes above while focusing on the following three themes:
- Consistency: I will strive to become more consistent in the practices that are important to me in order to work towards a more balanced life.
- Mindfulness: I will be more consciousness of the things I consume, whether they be the food I eat, the things I wear, or the things I read, watch and listen to.
- Experience: I will make a conscious effort to experience new things and give them a chance before closing the door. I will become more receptive and open, each and every day.
The 2010s have brought me joy and heartache, success and failure, but above all this past decade has taught me the power of being self-reflective. I’m still working on incorporating this self-reflection into my photography but having this blog and documenting my thoughts and the things that bring me joy has been extremely helpful. So, thank you to those that have come along this journey with me. Whether you are new or have been here for a while, I am grateful for your support and kindness.
Happy New Year and New Decade and I hope you stay tuned for more to come! 🙂
It’s that time of year again! The end of another year full of memories but the beginning of a new one with plenty to offer.
So, with the spirit of the New Year, I’ve come up with the following four themes for 2019:
- Balance: I will strive for balance in all aspects of my life and make sure I am paying attention to those things that matter to me.
- Evanescent: I will recognize that life is temporary. I cannot waste it stressing out about the small things since it will all pass.
- Determination: I will work my hardest and bring my all to the things I care about. Giving it my all means feeling satisfied with what I have put it. It does not have to be perfect or exhausting.
- Learning: I will make a conscious effort to learn something new, everyday. This is beyond what I learn in the classroom and can come from anywhere – the news, the internet, a book, a friend, etc. I have to seek knowledge and absorb it fully.
A quick thank you to all those that have read my posts! I will continue in the New Year and I wish you a joyous holiday season and a Happy New Year 🙂 See you in 2019!